We all know that Omega-3 is very important for our health and fish oil supplements are the best source of omega-3 fatty acids. Fish oil supplements are derived from the tissues of fatty fish like tuna, salmon, herring, anchovies, mackerel and more. These products can help to build muscles, keep your heart healthy and a lot more.
Fish oil supplements contain two types of omega-3 fatty acids:
- Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)
- Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA)
Let us have a look at some of the health benefits of consuming fish oil tablets/ capsules/ liquid supplements:
Fish oil supplements for heart health
Heart diseases are known to cause a lot of death all around the world and maintaining a healthy cardiovascular is therefore essential for individuals of all ages.
Regular consumption of fish oil supplements can help in maintaining the following things in your body that can in turn decrease health ailments:
- Fish oil can increase the good cholesterol levels levels or HDL cholesterol.
- Consumption of fish oil supplements can help to lower the triglycerides in your body by about 15–30%.
- High blood pressure can lead to various heart ailments and consumption of omega 3 fatty acids can help to reduce your blood pressure levels.
- These supplements can help to maintain plaques that are known to harden your arteries. Omega 3 can make the arterial plaques more stable and this can reduce heart ailments.
- There are a lot of people who have abnormal heart rhythms or Arrhythmias. This problem can cause heart attack and consumption of omega3 fatty acid supplements can help to reduce fatal arrhythmia events.
Fish oil supplements for mental health
Our brain comprises nearly 60% of fat, and most of this fat is omega-3 fatty acids. Fish oils or omega-3 supplements are essential for maintaining the normal brain functioning. In fact, according to studies it is also found that people with certain mental disorders have lower levels of omega-3 fatty acids in their blood. Many researchers suggest that consumption of fish oil capsules can help to improve or prevent the onset of symptoms of mental disorders. It may also help to reduce symptoms related to schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.
Fish oil supplements for weight management
Obesity is one of the major issues that can cause a lot of health issues. A person having a body mass index (BMI) greater than 30 is generally considered to be obese. Around 39% of adults in the world are overweight and 13% are obese. Overweight or obesity can increase the risk of certain diseases that include heart problems, type 2 diabetes and more. Fish oil supplements when combined with a healthy diet and exercise can help to reduce weight.
Fish oil supplements for eyes
Among many other health benefits, fish oil supplement can also help in improving your vision. As we grow older our eye health starts to decline and that can lead to age-related macular degeneration (AMD). Fish oil consumption can help to reduce AMD and improve your eyesight.
Fish oil for reducing inflammation
Some chronic health problems like obesity, depression, diabetes, heart disease, etc. can lead to severe inflammation. The anti-inflammatory properties of fish oil supplements can help to reduce inflammation and also help to treat the symptoms related to the above mentioned chronic diseases. Regular consumption of fish oil can reduce stiffness and joint pain.
Conclusion: Fish oil supplements are necessary for overall health and lifestyle enhancement. These supplements usually do not have any side effects when consumed as per directed. However, make sure you consult a doctor before using omega 3 supplements to know the right dosage for your body.